Sunday 23 October 2011

Let Them Eat Cake - commission piece for Numina Devon


 I have wanted to make a dress with two bird cages for a petticoat for ages and when a customer asked me for a Marie Antoinette inspired fashion I knew I had my chance. I thought it was symbolically fitting as well, as Marie Antoinette was pretty much a bird in a golden cage. What comes to the famous phrase "let them eat cake", the French peasants had been accusing nobility of saying that for a hundred years before poor Marie Antoinette, but then again if does well describe the luxurious life or boredom this historical beauty had until the bitter end.


This dusty blue silk brocade outfit adorned with cream consists of a corset top, bird cage skirt with a period cape, blue lace undies and stockings and cream silk ribbons for neck and waist. I also added a pair of modern bulky pumps with a golden emblems for more period feel. The skirt was mainly hand-stitched and the bird cages are hand made too. The two birds are repainted doll house miniatures.


The model is a OOAK Numina Devon and wears a luxurious hard cap wig by Ilaria (Time of Doll).

More photos at flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/emiliacouture/sets/72157627961242812/with/6273919588/

5 comments:

Dolling Boy said...

OMG this is SOO Fabulous!!!!
I need to email you

Vita Plastica said...

Beautiful! I love this idea.

Snoqualmie Fall said...

Excellent!
You have great talent!

The Duke of Swann said...

Wow! These are blowing me away. Emilia, you are very creative and talented.

em`lia said...

Thank you so much!