I had originally planned the bath room to have a fresco on its wall but it was suppose to be the Botticelli´s Venus. However, I started to feel that particular piece of art was too much of a cliché. So, browsing the flickr for inspiration I found this Art Nouveau fresco, that I considered quite perfect - especially since the house was going to a be from that era.
This time I remembered to take photos all thru the process. Hopefully this can even serve as a sort of an tutorial (doubt its usefulness, though.) The first phase was to do a rough sketch to a piece of cardboard and then carve the form with a Stanley knife.
The second phase was to paint the water in the background of the picture. For this I mixed white acrylics paint toned with preussian blue watercolour.
Next I painted the uplifted lines white. This will create a nice feeling of water with the light reflected broken from the waves.
The fourth phase was to paint the skin tones of the water nymphs.
Here I am painting the background tones for the nymphs´ hair flowing free in the water. Every one of the three had a bit different shade of hair varying from maroon to okra.
These were the shades of colours I used for the painting. Acrylics white mixed in with preussian blue, brown, red and okra watercolours.
In this final phase I have added all the details: The water plants, outlines of the bodies, curls of their hair. I am not yet sure will I have to tone the water darker in some parts to make it fit better with the bath room tiles of darkest preussian blue, but that will be left for later.